Denver : NBA Draft Grade C+
(20) Evan Fournier, SG; (38) Quincy Miller, SF; (50) Izzet Turkyilmaz, PF/C
The Nuggets got the best international player in the draft but this was a very week draft for international players. I think the Nuggets reached for Fournier here. I didn’t even have him in my 1st round mock draft. Fournier is a very athletic wing player that is a little bigger and less crazy than former Nugget J.R. Smith. Miller could be a steal but it will likely take him a couple years to live up to his potential. Miller should have stayed another year in college. Turkyilmaz will probably never play in the NBA. The Nuggets really didn’t have any big needs so not expect Fournier or Miller to make an impact this season.
Offseason/ Free Agents and Trades: Grade B+
- The Nuggets signed guard Andre Miller to a three year contract. The also resigned center JaVale McGee to a multiyear deal.
-Anthony Randolph reached a deal to play with the Nuggets.
- The Nuggets waived Chris Anderson.
- As part of the 4 team Dwight Howard trade the Nuggets received high flyer Andre Iguodala from the 76ers. They shipped Arron Afflalo and Al Harrington to the Orlando Magic.
Minnesota: NBA Draft Grade C-
(58) Robbie Hummel, SF
Minnesota lost their 1st round pick when they traded for Chase Budinger from the Houston Rockets. With one of the last picks in the draft the Timberwolves took Robbie Hummel from Purdue. At Purdue Hummel recovered from 2 ACL injuries. Down the line Hummel could add shooting depth to Minnesota. The Timberwolves are not a great long distance shooting team.
Offseason/ Free Agents and Trades: Grade B
- Andrei Kirilenko singed a free agent contract with Minnesota. He played last season with CSKA Moscow. Fellow Russian Alexey Shved also singed a three year with the Timberwolves.
- The Timberwolves also signed Brandon Roy to a deal. Roy decided to give up basketball because of knee injuries but he is making a comeback out of it.
- Minnesota agreed to a four-year offer sheet for Nicolas Batum, but Portland matched that offer.
- The Timberwolves used an amnesty clause on Darko Milicic and Martell Webster.
- Before the draft Minnesota pick up Jerome Dyson and Chase Budinger via trade.
- Former Celtics player Greg Stiemsma signed on to play with Minnesota.
-Alexey Shved signed on as a free agent with Minnesota last season he played for CSKA Moscow.
- Minnesota shipped Wayne Ellington to Memphis in return they received Dante Cunningham.
Oklahoma City: NBA Draft Grade A-
(28) Perry Jones III
The Thunder only had one draft pick but they could have gotten the steal of the draft. With one of the last picks of the 1st round the Thunder took Perry Jones III from Baylor. If Jones had declared after his freshman season he would have been a top 5 pick. A medical report caused him to slip all the way to Thunder. I am sure the Thunder were shocked that he was still there. They got a top 5 talent now the question is can Jones put it all together?
Offseason/ Free Agents and Trades: Grade D
- The NBA finals losers have most of their roster back for next season. The only moves they have made in the off season so far is singing former number 2 pick overall Hasheem Thabeet and signing Daniel Orton.
- The Thunder lost Royal Ivey and Nazr Mohammed in free agency.
Portland : NBA Draft Grade A
(6) Damian Lillard, PG; (11) Meyers Leonard, C; (40) Will Barton, SG
Portland really needed a point guard badly and they got the best point guard out of this draft in Lillard. Lillard stock has been on the rise for a long time now. Don’t be fooled by him playing at a small school. Lillard biggest strength is his ability to score the ball in a multiple ways. He shot over 40 % from three last season and he can get to the hole with his terrific athletic ability. The only true question for Lillard is can he handle being a point guard or is he a scorer. It will probably can him a while to learn how to run a team. He was the second leading scorer in the nation.
I really didn’t like their 2nd 1st round pick of Leonard. Leonard is still very raw but he has great measurements and is full of potential. I really like their second round pick of Barton. Some mock drafts had Barton going in the 1st round.
Offseason/ Free Agents and Trades: Grade C-
- The Trail Blazers did offer Indiana Pacer center Roy Hibbert an offer sheet but the Pacers matched Portland’s offer.
- The Timberwolves agreed to an offer sheet for Nicolas Batum but the Trail Blazers match that. That deal is 4 years’ worth $45 Million.
- J.J. Hickson agreed to a one year deal with Portland. Ronnie Price also signed with the Suns as a free agent.
- Portland traded Raymond Felton and Kurt Thomas to the Knicks. In return the Portland received Dan Gadzuric, Jared Jeffries, Kostas Papanikolaou, and Giorgos Printezis.
- Jamal Crawford signs with the LA Clippers not Portland.
- Sasha Pavlocic is now a Trailblazer after a three team day. He played last season with the Celtics.
- Portland singed former Gonzaga star Adam Morrison.
Utah: NBA Draft Grade B-
(47) Kevin Murphy, SF
The Utah Jazz only had one pick in this year’s draft but the got a quality pick for were they drafted from. The Jazz took Kevin Murphy from Tennessee Tech. Murphy is a flat out scorer he was the only player in college this season to score 50 points in a game. He fits a need for the Jazz who need shooting and scoring on the wing.
Offseason/ Free Agents and Trades: Grade B-
The Jazz reacquired Mo Williams in a four-team deal involving Lamar Odom.
- The Jazz traded Devin Harris to Atlanta for Marvin Williams.
- The Jazz resigned Jeremy Evans.
- Randy Foye joined the Jazz via free agency. Foye played last season with the Clippers.
- The Jazz traded for Shan Foster from the Mavs. They gave the Mavs Tadija Dragicevic .