Portland : NBA Draft Grade A
(6) Damian Lillard, PG; (11) Meyers Leonard, C; (40) Will Barton, SG
Portland really needed a point guard badly and they got the best point guard out of this draft in Lillard. Lillard stock has been on the rise for a long time now. Don’t be fooled by him playing at a small school. Lillard biggest strength is his ability to score the ball in a multiple ways. He shot over 40 % from three last season and he can get to the hole with his terrific athletic ability. The only true question for Lillard is can he handle being a point guard or is he a scorer. It will probably can him a while to learn how to run a team. He was the second leading scorer in the nation.
I really didn’t like their 2nd 1st round pick of Leonard. Leonard is still very raw but he has great measurements and is full of potential. I really like their second round pick of Barton. Some mock drafts had Barton going in the 1st round.
Offseason/ Free Agents and Trades: Grade C-
- The Trail Blazers did offer Indiana Pacer center Roy Hibbert an offer sheet but the Pacers matched Portland’s offer.
- The Timberwolves agreed to an offer sheet for Nicolas Batum but the Trail Blazers match that. That deal is 4 years’ worth $45 Million.
- J.J. Hickson agreed to a one year deal with Portland. Ronnie Price also signed with the Suns as a free agent.
- Portland traded Raymond Felton and Kurt Thomas to the Knicks. In return the Portland received Dan Gadzuric, Jared Jeffries, Kostas Papanikolaou, and Giorgos Printezis.
- Jamal Crawford signs with the LA Clippers not Portland.
- Sasha Pavlocic is now a Trailblazer after a three team day. He played last season with the Celtics.
- Portland singed former Gonzaga star Adam Morrison.