Nets fans are ready for a breakout season for their new look team. Of course there is already excitement over the teams move to Brooklyn, but fans should also be excited for the new look Brooklyn Nets. The players are ready that is for sure. Recently two of the Nets players were talking big in terms of winning a championship but there coach Avery Johnson not so much.
Here is what Joe Johnson had to say. Johnson was just traded to the Nets from the Atlantna Hawks.
That’s what we are shooting for — the ring. There’s no need to sell ourselves short. You talk about gelling and figuring it out, and I think we have the perfect pieces: a great point guard, a great center. I don’t think any of our positions are the same or overlap at all.
Brook Lopez resigned with the Nets in the off season and he is thinking championship also.
“Obviously our main goal is no question the NBA championship. I think it is realistic for us. We’re already a good playoff team so with the addition of other pieces, we can target the ring,” said Lopez, who was recently re-signed by the Nets to a four-year deal.
There is no question that the Nets have upgraded their roster but NBA Championship no chance? They will be for sure a playoff team this year and have the talent to advance to the second round but there is even no chance that they make the Conference finals.
With Johnson, Lopez and Deron Williams, Gerald Wallace and Kris Humphries that is solid starting five. They will score a lot of points but will struggle to defend. Their bench is also a big question mark but sophomore MarShon Brooks is a big time scorer.
The head coach thoughts if the Nets are a championship team?
“We’re not there yet, we’re not a championship team,” Johnson said. “We’ve got a lot of work to do, but at the same time we have a much better talent pool than we’ve had in the last two years.”
Here is a look at the Nets offseason moves :
Offseason/ Free Agents and Trades
- The Nets has resigned Gerald Wallace. The terms are thought to be a four-year, $40 Million contract.
- The Nets acquired All Star Joe Johnson from the Atlanta Hawks in a trade. return the Hawks got Anthony Morrow, Jordan Farmar, Jordan Williams, Johan Petro, DeShawn Stevenson and Houston’s 2013 lottery-protected first-rounder.
- The Nets agree to terms with Bosnian forward Mirza Telotovic.
- The Nets added Reggie Evans in a sign and trade deal
- Deron Williams agrees to stay with the Nets. This is huge for the Nets and it will make it easier to sign other star players. The deal is for 5 years for about $100 Million.
-All Star center Dwight Howard made it clear that the Nets are the only team he wants traded to. However, the Magic and Nets couldn’t game a deal done.
- With the Nets unable to get Howard they resigned their own center Brook Lopez to a four-year deal worth $60.8 Million.
- Kris Humphries has real a two year deal worth $24 Million to stay with the Nets.
-The Nets signed veteran Jerry Stackhouse to a one year deal.
- C.J. Watson signed with the Nets as a free agent also last season he was with the Bulls.
- Keith Bogans also agreed upon a deal to sign with the Nets.